The hard copy supplies market is a crucial part of the digital imaging industry, supplying much of vendors' profits. For example, Lyra forecasts that ink jet cartridge shipments reached over 1.5 billion units worldwide in 2009. Assuming that ink jet cartridges have an average retail price of $19 apiece, the worldwide ink jet cartridge market was worth about $29 billion in 2009. The hard copy supplies market also includes toner (sold in cartridges or in bulk) and paper and other media (sold in sheets or in rolls). According to Lyra's most recent forecast, the worldwide toner cartridge and container market is worth nearly $43 billion in 2009, and the media market is valued at $30 billion.
The competitive landscape for hard copy supplies is changing dramatically. For example, sales of store-brand ink jet and laser cartridges are encroaching on sales of OEM cartridges. Retail cartridge-refilling shops, such as Cartridge World, are proliferating. Business strategies to maintain an edge in this volatile climate have included increased R&D spending, vigorous intellectual-property defenses, region-specific products, value- and high-end tiered offerings for different consumer targets, promotional supplies bundling, and strategic relationships with other players.
Lyra Research provides clients with informed analysis, forecasts, and insight, helping clients to monitor the hard copy supplies market. Gain an expert partner's viewpoint to navigate major business decisions and campaigns with confidence.
PARTNER WITH THE DIGITAL IMAGING AUTHORITY
Lyra's imaging supplies analysts work closely with you to provide ongoing consultation and detailed analysis of the imaging supplies markets, covering aftermarket and OEM ink jet and laser cartridges and media. Lyra's Hard Copy Supplies Advisory Service (SAS) consists of six components: ongoing expert consultation, shipment and revenue forecasts, primary market research studies, analysis reports, industry news and updates, and an annual briefing. Lyra's online content delivery features a daily stream of market data, analysis, and insight, providing a top-to-bottom picture of events and trends in the imaging supplies industry.
EXPERT CONSULTATION: GAIN VALUABLE INSIGHT FROM THE BEST MINDS IN THE INDUSTRY
Need help interpreting the latest forecast data? Do you want guidance on a new product strategy? Have specific questions about distribution channels? Lyra's SAS is staffed by the industry's most experienced team of supplies industry analysts and researchers, and, as an SAS client, you will be teamed with an industry analyst who can provide expert consultation that is confidential, informed, and targeted to meet your needs. Lyra analysts serve as a vital adjunct to your internal marketing and product-planning resources.
SAS SHIPMENT AND REVENUE FORECASTS: NUMBERS YOU CAN TRUST
Lyra's SAS forecasts are comprehensive, reconciling supply and demand for consumables with developments in the hardware business. Lyra's distinctive Forecast 360 forecasting methodology uses an intricate system of cross-checks to correlate data for all segments of the imaging industry, including marking supplies, media, and hardware, to create a complete and accurate view of the industry. For example, Forecast 360 methodology allows Lyra to quantify the impact that increasing ink jet photo paper shipments will have on ink jet cartridge sales.
To develop its forecasts, Lyra starts with the historical shipment, revenue, and installed base data it has compiled and then incorporates information from component suppliers, media and marking supplies vendors, hardware vendors, distribution channels, financial reports, and a variety of third-party contributors. The SAS forecast is also informed by detailed demographic data; Lyra's own in-depth analysis of developments in the photo printing, contract stationer, production printing, and related industries; and a sophisticated ratio analysis that ensures there is a strong demand-side correlation for forecast data. Lyra's analysis of market demand is supported by primary research in the consumer, business, and commercial markets that provides insights into usage patterns, purchase plans, and enablers.
The SAS forecast provides detailed information on worldwide shipments of ink, toner, and media and the worldwide revenue from the sale of these products. The forecast is also segmented by region, including North America; Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA); Asia Pacific; and Latin America.
FORECAST SEGMENTATION OVERVIEW
Ink Jet Cartridges
Lyra segments the ink jet cartridge market in the following ways:
- By type of cartridge manufacturer: Forecast data is broken our separately for OEM, non-OEM (or aftermarket), and refilled cartridges. Refilled cartridges include both those refilled at retail and those refilled by users with do-it-yourself kits.
- By cartridge design: OEM cartridges are further segmented by single-color, tricolor, and black cartridges.
- By printer brand: Both OEM and aftermarket cartridges are segmented by the brand of ink jet printer or MFP in which the cartridge will be used. Brands include Canon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, and others.
- Lyra's forecast for bulk ink for desktop devices includes both black and color ink broken out by printer brand. Brands include Canon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, and others.
- Lyra's forecast for bulk ink for wide format devices includes both black and color ink segmented by wide-format printer type. Wide-format ink jet printer types include CAD, 24–44-inch graphics, and more than 44-inch graphics.
- Lyra's forecast includes mechanical and chemical toner and dye and pigment ink in shipments and revenues.
Lyra's laser cartridge forecast segmentation is as follows:
- By type of cartridge manufacturer: Forecast data is broken our separately for OEM and non OEM (or aftermarket) cartridges for both black and color toner.
- By printer type: OEM and aftermarket monochrome laser cartridges are further broken down by personal printer, workgroup printer, and departmental printer segments. Color OEM and aftermarket laser cartridges are segmented by personal and workgroup printer types.
- By engine brand: Color and monochrome laser cartridges are segmented by engine brand. Engine brands include Brother, Canon, Fuji Xerox, Konica Minolta, Kyocera Mita, Lexmark, Samsung, and others.
Lyra's forecast for bulk toner is broken out by device type. Device types include color MFPs, monochrome copiers (analog and digital), and monochrome printers. The monochrome printer market is further segmented to include personal, workgroup, departmental, and enterprise printers.
Coated Electrophotographic Media
Lyra segments coated electrophotographic media into two categories: coated papers and transparencies.
Plain Paper Media
Lyra segments its forecast for plain paper media as follows:
Desktop Ink Jet Media
- By printer type: Plain paper media is segmented by the type of device in which it is used. Segments include analog and digital copiers, monochrome laser printers and MFPs, desktop color page printers, digital color MFPs, and ink jet printers and MFPs.
- By paper type: Paper types include commodity and value-added.
Lyra forecasts desktop ink jet media into three categories: photo paper, coated paper, and specialty media. The forecast is in letter-size equivalents.
Dye Thermal Media
The dye thermal media forecast is broken out by snapshot and letter-sized media.
Lyra's wide-format media forecast is broken out by printer type. There is a separate forecast for CAD and graphics printers. For CAD media, the forecast is further segmented into uncoated, coated, and CAD films. For wide-format graphics media, the forecast is broken out by coated paper, photo paper, fine-art media, ink jet film, self-adhesive vinyl, and banner material.
PRIMARY MARKET RESEARCH STUDIES: HEAR WHAT CURRENT CUSTOMERS AND PROSPECTIVE BUYERS ARE SAYING
Lyra conducts several primary market research studies each year for publication in the SAS. Lyra has conducted surveys with digital imaging supplies users from the home, SOHO, corporate, and commercial environments in the United States and throughout the world. These research studies probe end-user brand awareness and preferences, purchasing channels, and usage patterns. Because some SAS surveys are conducted annually, clients can monitor trends in the survey results and adapt to significant market shifts. SAS clients use these data-rich and accessible primary market research studies for planning exercises and internal presentations.
ANALYSIS REPORTS: UNDERSTAND KEY ISSUES
The SAS' marking and media supplies industry experts publish analysis reports that draw on primary and secondary market research data, Lyra's industry forecasts, and their years of industry expertise to help you understand key issues and formulate strategies to anticipate and respond to market changes. These reports deliver high-impact strategic and tactical information and examine major issues and trends influencing the market. New reports are issued continuously, and you will receive periodic client e-mail alerts to inform you of new material published in the SAS.
INDUSTRY NEWS AND UPDATES: SAVE TIME AND MONEY
Lyra's analysts sift through major news services and industry publications and attend all major industry events so you can realize the timesaving convenience of a single, reliable news source at your fingertips. Industry news and updates published in the SAS include:
- competitive product tracking;
- price/performance analysis;
- product reviews and rankings;
- press releases;
- updates, contracts, and alliances; and
- product specifications.
ANNUAL BRIEFING: REACH BEYOND YOUR OWN ASSUMPTIONS
A critical component of Lyra's SAS is your annual briefing and market overview. Presented to your entire team and customized to your company's interests, the annual half day briefing focuses on major trends in the industry and offers the opportunity for an extensive question-and answer session with your analyst. The briefing can be scheduled at any time during the subscription year.
BENEFITS OF SUBSCRIBING TO LYRA'S HARD COPY SUPPLIES ADVISORY SERVICE
- Gain valuable insight into the market with tactical and strategic information.
- Partner with our experts and leverage them as a sounding board on internal discussions.
- Find out where the market is headed and who the winners and losers might be in various market segments.
- Learn how distribution channels are shifting
- Keep tabs on your competition and see detailed snapshots of major hardware and supplies announcements.
- Develop stronger positioning statements for your product line.
- Create better products to meet your buyers' needs.
- Identify new market niches and new opportunities to generate revenue.
Director of Client Relations
SAS CLIENT LOGIN
Office Print Monitor
Hard Copy Industry
Hard Copy Supplies
Consumer Imaging Intelligence
Hard Copy Datasource
Wide-Format Printing Advisory
Commercial Ink Jet Printing Advisory Service
Managed Print Advisory Service